Friday, September 9, 2011

Mat Kearney-Young Love



I was recently sent Mat Kearneys' album Young Love to review as a member of  one2one. I admit I had never even heard of  Mat Kearney before,so I was willing to give it a try.The album debuted on the #1 spot on iTunes album and rock charts so I figured it must be pretty good.

When I received the cd,I popped it in to give it a try.I have certain music that I prefer to listen to,and I am sorry to say this is just not it.While I was listening to the album,my 5 year old daughter came in the room and asked why I was listening to this old music.This caused the boys to come in as well and they proceeded to tell me this was some cheesy 80's music.I started laughing and told them it was a new album that had just come out..I can't even explain the looks I got from them.I guess my music tastes have rubbed off on them too,because they all gave it a thumbs down.

That said,I want to make it clear,we like a different style of music.You will never hear any rap or hip hop playing in our house..ever.While this album was released under rock,it is not the kind of rock I am used to.I found the sound to be more of a pop sound.The songs are light and upbeat,although many of them sound the same.The beats are similar and the voice style really never changes.I couldn't even make it through the whole album,I listened to 8 of the 10 songs in full,and skimmed the others just to say I did listen to at least part of them all.I cannot really tell you what they were about though,as I couldn't get past the whine in his voice to really listen to the words.

If you like this type of music,I would say you will probably enjoy this album greatly.It is something catchy that would probably be a hit with many teens and adults as well.The songs are not too long,so they don't drag on and the beat would be good to dance to.You can catch Mat Kearney on tour at these locations this fall-





9/14Jacksonville, FLMurray Hill
9/16Charleston, SCMusic Farm
9/17Athens, GAGA Theater
9/18Carrboro, NCCat's Cradle 
9/20Charlottesville, VA       Jefferson Theater
9/23Louisville, KYHeadliners
9/24Cincinnati, OHBogart's
9/25Cleveland, OHHOB-Cleveland
9/27Interlochen, MICorson Aud
9/29Champaign, ILCanopy Club
9/30Milwaukee, WITurner Hall
10/1Des Moines, IAPeople's
10/2Omaha, NESokol Auditorium
10/4Bloomington, INBluebird
10/5St Louis, MOThe Pageant
10/7Oxford, MSLyric Oxford
10/8Pine Mountain, GACallaway Gardens
10/20Nashville, TNCannery
10/23Washington, DC9:30 Club
10/24Baltimore, MDRam's Head
10/25Lancaster, PAChameleon
10/27Allentown, PACrocodile Rock
10/28New York, NYWebster Hall
10/29Philadelphia, PATLA
10/30Albany, NYNorthern Lights
11/1              Northampton, MA             Pearl Street
11/2New Haven, CTToads Place
11/4Boston, MAHOB-Boston
11/5Portland, METhe State
11/6Burlington, VTHigher Ground
11/8Montreal, QCPetite
11/9Toronto, ONOpera House
11/11   Buffalo, NYTown Ballroom
11/12Pittsburgh, PARex Theater
11/13Detroit, MISt. Andrews
11/15Columbus, OHNewport Music Hall
11/19Madison, WIThe Majestic





* I received the mentioned item to assist in my review as a member of the one2one network.The opinions are my own and no other forms of compensation were received.

No comments: