Monday, June 16, 2014

My Firstborn Is A Teenager

I am really feeling old now that my son is officially a teen. I knew it was coming, of course, but now that the day has passed, it has really hit me. I am old enough to have a teenage son. In 5 short years, he will be able to go off on his own and live his life. How has that much time gone by?


 This year, Gage wanted to design his own cake. Well not actually a cake since he selected double chocolate cookie. I baked the cookie for him, and once it cooled, helped him make all the icing colors he needed for his creation.


As he was doing this, I had no idea who he was drawing. The sketch he drew was not in full color, so I didn't know who it was supposed to be. About midway through, Gage asked me what I thought and I told him it looked like The Joker to me. He just laughed and said that was who it was supposed to be, so I guess he did a pretty good job, especially since this was his first real time decorating anything by hand with icing.

Gage ended up having a pretty good day. He got money and cards, as well as a music system he wanted. He also received several bottles of Axe, some Adidas cologne, a School of Rock DVD and a set of assorted writing pens with refill ink for the comics and stories he writes. I found him a shirt with comical saying and the Nirvana smile shirt he asked for, and he got several foam and wooden models including a big plane, space shuttle and two propeller planes.  


We had several kinds of pizza, chips, rainbow popcorn and grapes as well as a variety of ice cream float flavors plus the cookie he made. I think it turned out pretty well and he seemed to enjoy his day. My boy is growing up on me.


No comments: