Friday, December 13, 2013

Bill Cosby's Far From Finished

I grew up watching Bill Cosby all of my life. From Fat Albert to Dr. Huxtable on The Cosby Show, he has always been a favorite television icon to me. I didn't know until I was older that he also did stand up comedy and other ventures. I still find myself watching old reruns of the shows because they remind me of childhood and the laughter we shared watching him.

I had no idea that he was doing a comeback until Far From Finished debuted on Comedy Central on November 23rd. This was Bill Cosby's first television concert series in 30 years. If you didn't get a chance to see the show, don't worry, there will be more airings coming soon. Directed by Robert Townsend, the show is a compilation of material from shows that Cosby performed earlier this summer.




 To celebrate his return, he is asking his amazing fans to spread the laughter by using his #LaughterIsUniversal game. This is a great way to keep the laughs going and to celebrate one of America's most beloved comedians of all time.

Bill Cosby draws from his own life experiences when doing his comedy routines and shows. He designed Emmy Award winning Fat Albert based on his own life growing up in Philadelphia, followed by The Cosby Show, highlighting life in an upper middle income black family.

Cosby was the first African American to costar on a weekly dramatic television series in I Spy. He overcame these racial obstacles while winning three consecutive Emmy's too. He has received an array of awards including The mark Twain Prize for American Humor, the Marian Anderson Award, the Kennedy Center Honors and the Presidential Medal of Freedom, America's highest civilian honor.

It truly doesn't matter what age, race or gender you are. Bill Cosby brings laughter to everyone who watches him. His routines, albums, books and movies transcend all that, to bring true comedy to us all. When asked about his return, Cosby himself simply said, "Because...funny is funny". I can think of no better way to describe it.

No comments: