Thursday, September 6, 2012

My Book Reviews-Almost Amish by Kathryn Cushman




I just finished reading Almost Amish by Kathryn Cushman.I have never really read about the Amish or their way of life before,so I wasn't sure what to expect from this story.I have to admit I liked reading about a different way of life and enjoyed this book so much I read it in just a couple days.

Almost Amish begins with the main character,Julie,who is tired of her everyday life.Julie feels as if she doesn't have a place.There is nothing that she is great at,no special talents,she is just plodding along doing whatever she can to help everyone around her.When Julie learns her sister in law,Susan,needs to help to be on a television show about the Amish,of course she agrees.The family sits down and works out what stipulations they have,what they hope to achieve and want to do in their time at the farm.The adults are excited to do the show and get away from their hectic lives,but the children aren't quite as excited.

When they arrive, they are thrown a few curve balls that don't sit too well with all the participants like having to wear Amish style clothing while they are there.As their time goes on,the kids begin to make friends and enjoy themselves.The ladies,however,aren't quite so lucky.Susan is constantly trying to preserve her image as the Martha Stewart type who can do it all,while Julie finds herself in the shadow of her sister in law and just can't seem to do anything right.

There is more to the story,but I have to leave some surprises for you to discover.I have a new respect for what is called the "simple" life.While they might not have the same kind of values or lifestyles as others,they still have activities,enjoy family time and have problems and dreams just like anyone else.


***All opinions on my blog are my own and may not be the same as anyone else..that's why they are mine.I received the sample item in order to write a fair and honest review.No other compensation was received and my opinions were not influenced by receiving sample item***

No comments: