Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Gem Mining is a Blast!

My husband and I have been trying to take the kids on day trips to do random things for fun. A couple of weeks ago we decided to go to the KOA Campground to do a little gem mining.


I know that for some, this would not be their idea of gem mining, but honestly I think it is a great way to go. No need to go digging through a mine and getting hot and filthy, all you have to do is select which size bucket of dirt you want, purchase it and take it out to the sluice. You shovel some of the mix into your sieve and slide it through the running water to remove the dirt and uncover your treasures.


We went for the medium sized bucket, which was $32 I believe. This was plenty for us to give it a try and see what we could find.


They offered several sizes of buckets, and the larger you purchase, the more quality gems, geodes and arrowheads you can find. Next time we may try a larger size to see if we can find some of the cut stones, but for what we paid, I was quite happy with our haul.


This is my oldest sons collection he found...


My first find...so pretty!


A beautiful arrowhead I found...


                         All in all it was a blast to go gem mining and I hope to do it again soon!


No comments: