Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Pickaway County Fair and Derby 2013

My husband and I went to the Pickaway County Fair this weekend to watch the Demolition Derby. Let me start by saying, the derby is not my idea of a good time. I only went because my husband, his boss and a group of guys he knows and has worked with,were all going and bringing their wives. That meant I got to go and try to have a good time so he didn't look bad in front of the guys. No I didn't have to go, but you all know how that goes.

  When we arrived it was around 90 degrees and there were people everywhere. This is a small town so the fair is a big deal for many people. That and the Pumpkin Show...ugh. We walked around for a few minutes before heading down to the grandstand for the show. I stopped for a frozen lemonade and off we went.


Of course, they just had to sit in the pit. Yep, right beside the action where all the noise and mud are...just fantastic. After trying to to break an ankle and getting thoroughly covered in lemonade, we found the group and waited for the show to start.


I guess if you are into this sort of thing, it was probably fun. I spent most of the time chatting with the bosses wife and trying not to kill people who allow their screaming children to run wild. Even better, ones who strap them in a stroller and take off to chat with people clear across the bleachers, while the kid yells steadily 3 feet away from me.

The derby consisted of a heat of lawnmowers followed by three heats of cars and finally it was over. We got drenched with chunks of dirt but other then that, all was well and we took off to find something to eat before heading out to have drinks with the group. On the way out I grabbed a few headbands for my daughter and some scrunchies for me for $1 each. Not bad, and by far the best part of the day!

No comments: