Thursday, March 1, 2012

Remembering Davy Jones

Hey Hey we're The Monkees,people say we monkey around....

If you are at least as old as I am,then you have to know who Davy Jones was.I grew up watching reruns of  The Monkees every chance I got and still would if it were on.There was just something fun about Micky,Peter,Michael and  Davy that made my sisters and I get up and dance every time the theme song came on.I loved Davy Jones and thought he was the cutest thing alive.I even remember seeing him on The Brady Bunch when he took Marsha to the school dance.

I admit,I haven't given him much thought recently,until the other day. I was randomly surfing the net and came across a mention of The Monkees online.This prompted me to tell the kids about them.They love hearing about things from my childhood and I love influencing their choices in music and movies this way.We talked about the band,their similarities to The Beatles and of course the television characters for awhile and went on with our day.

The next afternoon,I heard on the radio Davy Jones was dead.I hate to see anyone die,even though I know it is a part of life,but there is something about losing a childhood icon or hero that makes it different.It's like losing a piece of your childhood that you can't get back.I realize as I get older this will happen more and more often,but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

                                                            Rock on Davy Jones





No comments: